Assistant Bailiff application procedure
Follow this procedure when applying to the Court for appointment as an Assistant Bailiff.
1. You may apply to the Court for appointment as an Assistant Bailiff by completing and submitting the Assistant Bailiff Application Form (DOCX, 72.7 KB) together with the applicable fee.
2. The Magistrates Court, Hobart Registry will assess your application and you will be advised of the outcome.
3. All successful applicants must sit a written test. Applicants will be contacted by the Hobart Registry to confirm an appointment time for the test to be undertaken.
4. Questions in the test relate to information provided in the Assistant Bailiff's Manual. The Manual will be made available to the applicant prior to the test.
5. On successfully completing the written test, the Hobart Registry will issue an instrument of appointment for a 3 year period.
6. Once appointed, it must be kept in mind that an Assistant Bailiff is an officer of the Magistrates Court, and must adhere to the guidelines set out in the Assistant Bailiff's Manual and be bound by the Court's Code of Ethics.
7. The Assistant Bailiff is responsible to ensure that they apply for re-appointment at least two months prior to the expiry of their current appointment.
8. If an appointment has expired and an Assistant Bailiff is in possession of warrants, these must immediately be returned to the Registry.
9. If an appointment has expired and an Assistant Bailiff continues to conduct business as an Assistant Bailiff, they have no lawful authority to levy on goods or take possession. As a result, the former Assistant Bailiff could be charged with theft, trespass, or other criminal offence.