Civil Court deals with disputes involving amounts
- up to and including $5,000 (minor civil claim)
- from $5,001 to $50,000 (civil claim)
- more than $50,000 if all parties agree.
If you are making a claim, you are known as a ‘claimant’ or ‘civil litigant’. The other party is known as the ‘defendant’.
Read more about civil litigants and the civil claims process.
Other responsibilities of the Civil Court are
- Residential tenancy
- Mediation and conciliation conferences
- Judgment Summons and Oral Examination
- Assistant Bailiff Register