Changing your child’s name

If you wish to change your child’s name without the consent of the child’s other parent, you must apply for an order that authorises the Registrar of Births, Deaths and Marriages to do so.

In detail, you will need to take these documents to your local court:

In your statutory declaration, you should detail:

  • the reasons you want your child's name changed
  • if the child has any contact with their other parent
  • if you have any contact with the child’s other parent.

If the child is already using the proposed name, include any examples of paperwork that show it (for example, school reports or sports club certificates).

You will also need to pay a filing fee.