The Coroner is required by law to inquire into all reportable deaths where a person:
1. has died a violent, unnatural or unexpected death, or as a result of an injury or accident;
2. has died during anesthesia or sedation or as a result of them and not due to natural causes;
3. has died from an unknown cause and/or a medical practitioner will not issue a medical certificate as to cause of death;
4. is a child under the age of 1 year and death was sudden and unexpected;
5. was a person held in care or custody;
6. was escaping from prison or police custody or an institution or while a prison officer or police office was attempting to detain that person;
7. has died as a result of an accident or injury that occurs at, the deceased person's place of work, and does not appear to be of natural causes.