Assistant Bailiff application procedure
Follow this procedure when applying to the Court for appointment as an Assistant Bailiff.
1. You may apply to the Court for appointment as an Assistant Bailiff by completing and submitting the Assistant Bailiff Application Form (docx, 72.7 KB) together with the applicable fee.
2. The Magistrates Court, Hobart Registry will assess your application and you will be advised of the outcome.
3. All successful applicants must sit a written test. Appointments for the test can be made by calling the registry that is closest to the applicant.
4. Questions in the test relate to information provided in the Bailiff's Manual. The Manual can be made available upon request to the Hobart Registry.
5. On successfully completing the written test, the Hobart Registry will issue an instrument of appointment for a 3 year period.
6. Once appointed, it must be kept in mind that an Assistant Bailiff is an officer of the Magistrates Court, and must adhere to the guidlelines set out in the Bailiff's Manual and be bound by the Court's Code of Ethics.
7. The Assistant Bailiff is responsible to ensure that he/she applies for re-appointment at least two months prior to the expiry of the appointment.
8. If an appointment has expired and an Assistant Bailiff is in possession of warrants, these must immediately be returned to the Court.
9. If an appointment has expired and an Assistant Bailiff continues to conduct business as an Assistant Bailiff, he/she has no lawful authority to levy on goods or take possession. As a result, the former Assistant Bailiff could be charged with theft, trespass, or other criminal offence.